Join the Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition
The news media play a vital role in defending your freedom-of-information rights and using them to expose corruption, life-threatening problems or the need for policy reforms. But there aren’t as many Woodwards and Bernsteins as there used to be. Newsroom staffs have shrunk dramatically in recent years, as have news media budgets to wage costly legal battles against violations of open-government statutes.
Organizations and individuals need to do their own investigative reporting these days. But don’t take it for granted that the public information you seek will be produced in a timely manner, that it will be reasonably priced or even available at all. Understand your legal rights of access to information and meetings, how to request documents and data from government agencies and what to do when you’re denied.
The Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition is your watchdog. We provide Colorado citizens and journalists with a resource and partner in defending access to public information.
The CFOIC, a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is a nonpartisan alliance of groups and individuals. Members represent varied interests and political persuasions but share a common passion for government transparency.
- Open-government seminars
- Hotlines supported by the state’s leading media-law attorneys
- Blog, newsfeed and online resources
- Monitoring the legislature, state agencies, courts and local governments for open-government actions and issues
- Court actions in support of greater government transparency
- Participating in multi-lateral efforts to clarify, modernize and strengthen open-government legislation
- Connecting citizens who are denied access with attorneys who would represent them on a pro bono or fee-recovery basis
- Expedited hotline assistance
- Discounts for seminars and other events
- Emailed newsletters
Help the CFOIC protect the accessibility of state and local governmental and judicial records and proceedings in Colorado. Thank you very much for your support!
To join, please send this form and a check payable to “Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition” to:
Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition
1120 Lincoln St., Suite 912
Denver CO 80203
Or fill out the form below to pay via PayPal. (A processing fee is subtracted from the amount received by the CFOIC.)